Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Cut into this boozy cherry bakewell magic cake for a bit of a surprise! Three different textures in one cake, it's absolutely delicious, but definitely one for the grown-ups as it's quite boozy! Almonds and cherries are the perfect match and go great in this delicious cake.
- 1x390g jar Opies Cherries in Kirsch
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 135g caster sugar, plus 2tbsp
- tsp almond extract
- tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp brandy, whisky or cognac
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 110g plain flour
- 500ml milk, warmed
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- Heat the oven to 160C, gas 3. Grease and line a 20cm square tin. Drain the liquid from the cherries into a small pan and put the cherries in the baking tin.
- Whisk the egg yolks with 135g sugar, the almond and vanilla extracts, and the brandy until pale and thick. Gradually beat in the butter and flour, then the milk.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into the mix, then pour into the tin. Bake for 40-50 mins. Add 2tbsp sugar to the cherry juice and simmer until thickened. Drizzle over the cooled cake, scatter with almonds and dust with icing sugar.
Top Tip for making Cherry Bakewell magic cake
Why not cut up into small cubes and serve as a sweet canape if you're expecting guests!