Here's a sweet treat that's actually rather good for you! These date bars are super-tasty but not-too-naughty
- 250g (9oz) stoned dates, roughly chopped75g (3oz) demerara sugar
- 60g (2½ oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) porridge oats
- 4tbsp vegetable oil
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp mixed spice
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 175g (6oz) pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- Icing sugar, to dust
You will need:
- 15cm (6in) square tin, buttered and lined with greaseproof paper
- Heat oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Place all the ingredients in order into a bowl. Stir until evenly mixed.
- Pour into tin, level the top and put on the middle shelf for 30-35 mins or until the top is firm and browned. Leave for 10 mins, then turn on to a wire rack to cool.
- When cold, cut into 12 bars and dust with icing sugar.
Top Tip for making Chewy date bars
Dried dates and oats are high in fibre and give a slow release of energy. Dried fruits contain iron, which is vital for energy production. Eat with orange juice to help absorb the iron.