Chicken masala from Essentials magazine. Mmm, a lovely creamy dish – tastes so good you might need to make extra!
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 thumb-sized piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 11⁄2tsp ground coriander
- 11⁄2tsp cumin seeds
- 1⁄4tsp ground turmeric
- 10 curry leaves
- 12 skinless and boneless organic free-range
- , cut into bite-size pieces
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- 1 sachet Barts creamed coconut
- small handful coriander,roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan, add the onion and fry over a low heat for 5 mins, stirring frequently, until softened and slightly browned. Add the garlic, ginger, chilli, spices and curry leaves, season well and fry for 1 min. Add the chicken, fry for 1 min, then add the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 20 mins or until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has reduced a little.
Stir in the creamed coconut with the coriander, add lime juice to taste.
Serve with the coriander & cashew dip and lime wedges.
Top tip for making Chicken and coconut masala
PREP AHEAD Follow the recipe to the end of step 2, but leave out the lime juice and fresh coriander. Store in an airtight container and transport in a coolbag. Reheat thoroughly, add coriander and lime to serve