This classic chicken tikka masala recipe is packed full of sweet red peppers that only bulk this delicious recipe up but also provide a sweet undertone to the dish. Serve this recipe with naan bread and watch it disappear leaving nothing but clean plates. It’s the perfect Saturday night takeaway alternative. Leaving the chicken to marinate overnight is a great way to add extra flavour to the meat and make it succulent and juicy to cook too. Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy.
- 4 chicken breasts, skinned and cubed
- 2-3tbsp tikka masala curry paste
- 2tbsp ghee or oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 4-5tbsp single cream
- Coriander, to garnish
- Place the chicken breasts in a bowl and mix in the tikka masala paste. Cover the bowl and leave it to marinate for at least 30 mins, or preferably overnight.
- Heat the ghee, or oil, in a pan and add the onion and pepper. Cook over a medium heat for 5-10 mins, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the chicken and garlic to the pan, and cook for a further 10 mins, until the chicken starts to brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and purée to the pan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 mins, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Just before serving, season with salt and stir in the cream. Serve with torn coriander scattered on top
Top Tip for making Chicken and red pepper tikka masala
To freeze: Make the recipe up to when you add the cream. Allow the mixture to cool, then freeze it. Defrost and reheat it thoroughly and stir in cream. Garnish with coriander just before serving.