For a Sunday lunch with a difference why not serve this tasty chicken and pepper pot- roast. Chicken thighs are surprisingly meaty and full of flavour as well as being very economical and quick to cook - this dish can be on the table in under an hour. For a more colourful dish you can use a mix of red, green and yellow peppers or add some thick slices of courgette or aubergine, if liked. Roast baby new potatoes in a little olive oil, sea salt and fresh rosemary sprigs at the same time as the chicken is cooking to serve as an accompaniment.
- (skin on)
- 1tbsp mild chilli powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 red peppers, deseeded and cut into thick slices
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 150ml chicken stock
- 2tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Rub the chilli powder into the skin of the chicken thighs and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the chicken thighs for 5-6 mins over a high heat until browned all over. Transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry for 5 mins. Add the pepper and cook for a further 4-5 mins then stir in the tomatoes, stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil.
- Spoon the pepper and tomato mixture around the chicken. Bake for 30-35 mins until the chicken is crisp and dark golden and the peppers are tender. Stir once during cooking. Adjust the seasoning to taste before serving.
Top Tip for making Chilli chicken and pepper roast
Instead of sprinkling with chilli powder, spread wholegrain mustard over the chicken thighs after browning.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Roasted spatchcock chicken
Roasted spatchcock chicken is quicker and easier than your usual roast bird. It's ideal for cooking on the BBQ...
By Jessica Dady Published
Harissa roast chicken with jewelled cous cous
By Samuel Goldsmith Published
Roast chicken with potato wedges
Just 5 ingredients to a tasty supper dish of roast lemon chicken legs with potato wedges. Get the recipe here
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published
How to have an autism-friendly bonfire night - 6 steps to take the stress out of firework sparkles
How to have an autism-friendly bonfire celebration with your family
By Selina Maycock Published
Bill's to celebrate Father's Day with free treats for dads
The British restaurant chain will honor dads everywhere on Sunday, June 18th with a complimentary starter, dessert, or drink
By Emma Dooney Published