Delicious with sticky glutinous rice, it's equally tasty with jasmine rice. Recreate Ching-He's family dish, passed down by her grandmother, in your own home
- 2tbsp groundnut oil
- 1tbsp freshly grated root ginger
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 dried Chinese mushrooms, pre-soaked in hot water for 20 mins, drained and finely chopped
- 225g/8oz skinless chicken breast fillets, finely diced
- 1tbsp Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1tsp five-spice powder
- 1tbsp dark soy sauce
- 50g/2oz dry-roasted peanuts
- 300g/11oz cooked jasmine rice or glutinous rice
- 3-4tbsp light soy sauce
- 1-2tbsp toasted sesame oil
- Ground white pepper
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Heat a wok or pan over a high heat and add the groundnut oil. Add the ginger, shallots and Chinese mushrooms and cook for a few seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook for a minute or two, then add the rice wine or sherry followed by the five-spice powder. As the chicken starts to turn white, add the dark soy sauce.
- Add the peanuts and then the rice, mix well and stir-fry for 1 min.
- Season with the light soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper to taste and stir to mix. Finally, stir in the spring onion, transfer to a serving dish and serve immediately.
Top Tip for making Ching-He Huang's chicken fried rice
The authentic version of this recipe with glutinous rice gives a wonderful sticky texture, but the rice is not readily available in supermarkets, which is a shame. If you visit a Chinese supermarket, do look out for it. When cooked using glutinous ric), this chicken fried rice dish can be quite like 'You fan' (oiled rice) and may also remind you of the rice wrapped in lotus leaf or bamboo leaf you get as a dim sum.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Slimming World's chilli and cauliflower rice recipe
This Slimming World chilli and cauliflower rice is easy to make, but healthy and satisfying to eat - the perfect mid-week supper that will please the whole family!
By Slimming World Published
A great British favourite, this Indian tandoori chicken is very tasty and spicy and easy to cook. Serve it up with a yogurt dip and your favourite kind of naan bread.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken
Gordon Ramsay's butter chicken recipe is so easy to make and tastes delicious. It includes a butter chicken sauce and spice rub for the chicken...
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published