Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Chocolate lovers this one's for you! This yummy chocolate and morello cherry fridge cake might look like lots of effort has gone into it but it'll take you minutes to make and will definitely melt in the mouth
- 200g good-quality dark chocolate (about 70% cocoa solids)
- 1 heaped tbsp golden syrup
- 120g unsalted butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 90g amaretti (ideally morbidi), or digestives or gingernuts will do
- 1 tsp kirsch
- 50g Marcona almonds, coarsely chopped
- 50g walnuts, coarsely broken
- 25g shelled pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- 50g Morello cherries from a jar, drained of syrup, halved
- Line a 900g loaf tin with foil or greaseproof paper. Melt the chocolate, golden syrup and butter together gently in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir to combine and then take off the heat. Let cool slightly, then stir in the beaten egg.
- Break the amaretti into large chunks, place in a bowl and sprinkle over the kirsch. Throw in the chopped almonds, walnuts, pistachios and cherries. Pour the warm chocolate mixture over, stir gently until evenly mixed and then pour into the loaf tin.
- Place in the fridge for 4 hours to set (or longer if you want to make it earlier).
- When you want to eat your fridge cake, remove from the fridge and turn it out onto a board. Peel off the foil or paper and cut the cake into thin slices, using a sharp knife. It's nice served with cream or crème fraîche and red berries or cherries on the side.
Top Tip for making Chocolate and morello cherry fridge cake
If you don't have time to chill it for 4 hours, try putting it in the freezer for half an hour instead