Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Lucy Jessop and Phil Mundy's chocolate bread and butter pudding recipe is a real winner from Essentials magazine. It is best made a day in advance, and perfect to serve to friends or family. We recommend serving this chocolate bread and butter pudding with our goodtoknow chocolate custard!
- 175g dark chocolate (70% cocoa), broken into squares
- 80g unsalted butter
- 300ml single cream
- 150ml double cream
- 100ml milk
- 125g caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs, beaten
- 4tbsp amaretto (almond liqueur)
- 10 slices bread, crusts removed and each slice cut into 4 triangles
- 10g (about 2) amaretti biscuits
- Put the chocolate, butter, both creams, milk and sugar into a pan. Heat very gently, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate has melted. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 mins.
- Then beat in the eggs and amaretto until combined.
- Pour a ladle of the chocolate custard into a 1.5-litre ovenproof baking dish, then layer up the bread triangles, overlapping them and pouring the chocolate custard in as you go.
- Finish with a layer of chocolate mixture. Press down the bread lightly to make sure the chocolate will cover it all.
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Bake uncovered for 30 mins, then sprinkle with crushed amaretti and bake for a further 5 mins until crispy on the outside but soft in the middle.
- Stand for 5 mins then serve with ice cream.