If you’re sick of turkey year after year, why not try something different this Christmas and go for this delicious duck recipe.
- Orange 1 large, finely pared rind shredded and orange cut in half
- Large duck approx. 3kg (6lb), washed and dried
- Vegetable oil for preparation
- Cranberry sauce 200ml (7fl oz)
- Dessert apple 1 large, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- Plain flour 1tbsp
- Red wine 200ml (7fl oz)
- Chicken or duck stock 300ml (1/2 pint)
Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas 7. Put half of orange inside duck and squeeze juice from other half. Using a fork, prick duck all over. Place on a rack in a roasting tin and smear lightly with oil. Add salt and roast for 30 minutes.
Reduce heat to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and continue cooking for 1 to 11/2 hours, or until duck is well cooked (insert a skewer into thigh, juices should run clear, with no traces of blood).Transfer duck onto a dish, keep warm.
Meanwhile, put cranberry sauce into a pan, add orange juice and apple wedges and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook gently until apple is softened, but not broken up. Keep warm or serve cold.
Skim off fat from roasting juices. Put 2 to 3 tbsp of fat into a pan and add flour. Strain juices into pan then add wine and stock, bring to boil, stirring. Reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, pour into a sauceboat.