Mackerel is not only delicious, it's cheap too! For an easy way to serve it, simply coat with oats for a little added crunch. Delicious with a simple salad or your favourite sides
- 50g jumbo porridge oats
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 4 mackerel fillets
- 1 med egg, beaten
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Tip the oats on to a plate and season them with salt and pepper, then stir in the chopped parsley.
- Dip each fish fillet into the beaten egg and then coat with the porridge oats.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan and when hot, add the mackerel to the pan, cooking for 2-3 mins on each side, or until crisp all over.
- Remove the mackerel fillets from the pan and drain them on absorbent kitchen paper. Serve immediately with lemon wedges to squeeze the juice over the fish.
Top Tip for making Crispy oaty mackerel fillets
If you do not have jumbo porridge oats, use ordinary ones or breadcrumbs.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Warm potato salad with smoked mackerel
This warm potato salad with smoked mackerel recipe is so easy to make. This 487 calorie fish salad recipe is delicious, easy and on the table in only 15 minutes!
By Jessica Dady • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published