These are delicious crunchy flapjack treats that are perfect for lunchboxes or as an afternoon treat that both adults and kids will love. Sweet dates are sandwiched between an oaty mixture which makes these date squares a little bit special. Serve them as a dessert with ice cream or have them as a mid-morning treat with a warm cuppa. They only take 10 mins to prepare and 30 mins to cook so you’ll be able to enjoy them in no time.
- 300g butter or margarine
- 50g demerara sugar
- 5tbsp golden sugar
- 400g rolled oats
- 50ml water
- 150g chopped dates
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Fan 160°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20cm square tin.
- In a saucepan melt the butter. Add the sugar and Golden Syrup and stir until the sugar is dissolved
- Remove from the heat and mix in the rolled oats. Press half the mixture into the base of the tin.
- In another saucepan boil the water and add the dates. Simmer, whilst stirring until the dates and water turn into a paste
- Spread the paste over the mixture in the tin. Cover with the remaining mixture and press down.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until set and golden
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes
- Whilst in the tin, cut into squares, and then allow to cool fully.
Top Tip for making Date squares
These are great for lunchboxes and summer picnics
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gluten free biscuit recipe with no added sugar
Our gluten free biscuit recipe uses chocolate as the sweetener making them deliicous and squidgy.
By Jessica Dady • Published
These simple apple flapjacks make a great energy-boosting snack for your family for a whole week. They're ready to eat in just an hour.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Mary Berry’s flapjack
Mary Berry’s flapjack recipe takes 30 mins to bake, making 24 bars. These soft, butter flapjacks use four ingredients; butter, syrup, sugar, and oats...
By Mary Berry • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen's early morning sweet snack is very pricey
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Mum sparks packed lunch debate over her very organised prepping
By Lucy Buglass • Published