Easy prawn and lentil curry is one of our favourite options for when you're in a hurry! It's really filling, healthy and so easy to make. Lentils are high in fibre and have so many nutrients, they're a low-calorie pulse and have virtually no fat so you can't go wrong with them! This curry is the perfect recipe for a speedy dinner or lunch, but it's actually just as nice if you want to leave the prawns out and have it as a side dish to an Indian feast. Depending on how much heat you can handle, you might want to leave the chilli out, or you can add more if you like your curry a bit more fiery!
- ½ tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp mild curry paste
- ¾ tsp fennel seeds
- ½-1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 200g split red lentils, rinsed
- 1x400g tin half-fat coconut milk
- 300g raw peeled king prawns
- 250g fresh baby spinach
- A large handful coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Natural yogurt, chilli or mango chutney, to serve
- Heat the oil in wide pan, cook the onion for 5 mins or until softened and golden. Add the curry paste, fennel seeds and chilli, mix well and fry for another min.
- Stir in the lentils, coconut milk and 150ml of water, bring to the boil, then leave to simmer for 20 mins or until cooked through – add another splash of water if it starts to look dry.
- Add the prawns for the last 5 mins of the cooking time, then stir in the spinach – remove from the heat once it’s wilted. Stir in the coriander and serve with yogurt and chutney.
Top Tip for making Easy prawn and lentil curry
If you don't have any prawns, you can just as easily sliced chicken breast instead
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon
Our prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon is so simple to make at home and is bursting with plenty of flavour - the perfect mid-week meal.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Aubergine, bean and potato curry
This aubergine, bean and potato curry is a simple and satisfying vegetarian curry.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen's hilariously clever trick to get guests to dinner in a timely manner
Queen Elizabeth II's clever way she got guests to dinner promptly.
By Selina Maycock • Published