Fancy a guilt-free teatime treat? This fruity loaf is full of health-boosting antioxidants - and it's low-fat!
- 1 Darjeeling tea bag
- 300g (11oz) soft dried fruit such as apricots, prunes or apples
- 175g (6oz) soft brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 225g (8oz) wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Grease and base line a 1kg (2¼ lb) loaf tin. Soak the tea bag in 300ml (½ pt) boiling water for 5 mins. Roughly chop the fruit and add to the tea, discarding the tea bag and soak for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4). Mix in the sugar and eggs.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice and fold into the fruit mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 1½ hours or until firm to touch and a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before slicing.
Top Tip for making Low-fat fruit tea loaf
Darjeeling tea gives this loaf a sweet, exotic flavour. But it also tastes great made with Earl Grey.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Mary Berry's Christmas fruit cake
Mary Berry's Christmas fruit cake is packed with luxury dried fruit, ground almonds, and nuts and a twist of pineapple. Bakes in just 2 hours 15 mins.
By Mary Berry • Published
Mini Christmas cakes
These impressive, muffin-sized, brandy infused mini Christmas cakes are perfect for sharing with family and friends this Christmas – sweet and delicious
By Jessica Dady • Published
Candice Brown's rainbow cake
Want to make your very own rainbow cake? This rainbow cake recipe is easy to follow and is great for those special occasions...
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Iceland is selling a GIANT Cadbury’s Creme Egg dessert just in time for Easter
By Naomi Jamieson • Published
Ben & Jerry's is launching a line of doggie dessert treats
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
King Charles and Camilla's Madame Tussauds waxworks hit with chocolate cake by protestors
Protestors threw chocolate cake at King Charles and Camilla's Madame Tussauds waxwork
By Selina Maycock • Published