Super-healthy with honey, yogurt, raspberry jam and warming spices of cinnamon and cloves, this is a delicious way to start the day.
For the fig compote:
- 250g pack soft dried figs
- 2tbsp demerara sugar
- 4tbsp clear honey
- Half a vanilla pod
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 2 star anise
For the pears:
- 3 firm ripe pears, peeled, halved lengthways and cored
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus 1tsp zest
- 3tsp good raspberry jam
- 200g pot Greek yogurt
- Snip off the fig stems and split the fruit in half. Put the sugar, honey and spices in a pan with ¼ litre (8fl oz) water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 mins then add the figs and poach gently for 10-12 mins until soft. Leave in liquid to cool.
- Cut each pear half in half again, lengthways, and put in a wide frying pan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the lemon juice and zest, with 300ml (½ pint) water. Bring just to the boil, put the lid on and simmer gently for 10 mins. Take off the heat. When cool enough to handle, cut each pear piece in half lengthways again and add to the fig compote. Put into a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Swirl the raspberry jam into the yogurt to half-mix. Spoon the compote into bowls and serve alongside the yogurt, or spoon yogurt on top.
Top Tip for making Fig and pear compote
The mixed compote will keep in the fridge for a week, so it's fine to make up this quantity to serve 1 or 2 people for breakfast every day.