A deliciously light and easy way to serve fresh fish like omega 3-rich mackerel is to just bake it in the oven with a herby ricotta filling.
- 4 fresh mackerels, cleaned, gutted, heads and spines removed
- 6 tomatoes, sliced
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- For the stuffing:
- 250g ricotta
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 2 medium eggs
- 3tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 2tbsp capers in salt, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
Wash the mackerels in cold water and dry on kitchen paper. Open out and lay flat on a chopping board with the skin side down. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, gas mark 4).
To prepare the stuffing, mix the ricotta, breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, chives, capers and garlic in a large bowl to create a smooth paste. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide the mixture between half of the flattened mackerels, spread and cover with another mackerel, sandwich-fashion. Once they are ready, place on an oiled baking tray, drizzle with the olive oil and cook in the oven for about 20 mins.
Serve the mackerels immediately on a bed of sliced tomatoes dressed with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.