Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This gluten free Victoria sponge cake is so tasty you won't know the difference!
Our gluten free birthday cake is super easy to make and tastes delicious too. In fact, it's so tasty we think you'll struggle to tell the difference between this and a classic sponge recipe. If you're hosting a birthday party or need a cake that can please everyone's tastes and dietary requirements, this gluten free birthday cake recipe is a fantastic option. We've filled it with fresh whipped cream and strawberry jam but you could use other flavours if preferred. Raspberries would work quite nicely or some thinly sliced ripe mango. If you don't want to bake a big gluten birthday cake, you could spoon the mixture into cupcake cases instead and make little gluten free cupcakes. The recipe is so easy to follow even the kids can get involved with the baking and decorating!
For the cake
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g caster sugar
- 5 free range eggs
- 250g FREEE by Doves Farm gluten free plain flour
- icing sugar, for dusting
For the filling
- 4tbsp strawberry jam
- 300ml pot double cream
- 227g punnet strawberries, cut in half
You will need:
- 2x20cm cake tins, bases lined
- Heat oven to 180C, Gas 4. Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy, add in the egg and flour mixing well. Evenly divide the batter into the 2 tins and bake for 20-25mins, until they bounce back when pressed.
- Cool the cakes for 5mins in the tins then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Once cool place the bottom cake onto a plate and spread over the jam followed by the cream, and place the strawberries on top them the top cake. Finally dust with icing sugar.
Top Tip for making Gluten free birthday cake
Experiment with different jam flavours if you'd prefer. We've used strawberry but you can try raspberry, cherry or even blueberry.