Classic Greek salad combines tangy olives, salty feta, sweet tomatoes and cool cucumber. It is perfect on its own, as a side dish to griddled meats or stirred through couscous and other grains. There is no cooking involved so it’s really just a chopping and assembly job so it’s great for a quick snack and perfect for picnic hampers and lunchboxes.
- 200g pack of feta cheese, drained, cut into cubes
- 4 salad tomatoes, diced
- ½ a cucumber peeled, quartered and diced
- 50g black pitted olives, halved
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 wholemeal pitta bread
- Combine all of the ingredients except the pitta in bowl. Season.
- Take each pitta and cut in half widthways. Using your fingers, gently prise apart the bread until you have a pocket. Fill each pocket with the mixed Greek salad and serve.
Top Tip for making Greek salad pittas
For extra crunch, try grilling the pitta beforehand, either pop them into the toaster for a minute or heat them under the grill.