White chocolate and cherry is a fantastic combination. Sweet, almost wine-like, cherry juice against sugary white chocolate encased in a cinnamon pastry. Delicious!
- 175g (6oz) digestive biscuits, crushed
- 75g (3oz) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 1kg (2lb) full-fat soft cheese
- 275g (9oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 40g (11⁄2oz) plain flour, sifted
- 300ml (1⁄2pint) soured cream
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- fresh or drained canned strawberries, to decorate
- To make the pastry, sift the flour and cinnamon into a bowl. Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and add enough of the water to mix to a firm dough.
- Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Wrap in foil and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 23 x 2.5 cm (9 x 1 inch) deep loose-bottomed flan tin. Trim off the excess pastry around the rim. Line the tart case with foil, fill with baking beans and bake in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4.
- Meanwhile, to make the filling, beat the eggs and sugar together in a bowl. Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream in a small, heavy-based saucepan, then pour over the chocolate and
- stir until the chocolate has melted. Pour over the egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pit the cherries, if using fresh, or thoroughly drain the canned cherries. Arrange in the flan case. Pour the chocolate mixture over the cherries.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until the chocolate cream is set. Dust with cinnamon and serve warm, decorated with extra cherries if you like.
Top Tip for making Gregg Wallace's white chocolate cherry tart
For a dark chocolate version, replace 5g (1⁄4oz) of the flour in the pastry with 5g (1⁄4oz) cocoa powder. In the filling, use finely chopped plain chocolate instead of white and use an extra 25g (1oz) caster sugar.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Tomato and sweetcorn flan
By Sue McMahon Published
Espresso Martini chocolate pots
Whizz these Espresso Martini chocolate pots up in 10 minutes for your dinner party – a perfect, lightly boozy dessert...
By Jess Meyer Published
White chocolate passion fruit mousse
Easy to make ahead, these deceptively light and low-carb white chocolate passion fruit mousse are a dream...
By Jessica Ransom Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published