Learn how to make The Hairy Bakers' Bakewell tart with this simple and delicious recipe. This classic is sure to become a family favourite. The Hairy Bakers, Dave Myers and Simon King describe this bakewell tart recipe as: 'The tart with heart, a gorgeous marriage of raspberry jam, almonds cuddled in a cocoon of almondine sweet pastry.' This tasty, sweet tart will take around 1hr and 35 mins to make and bake and will serve between 6-8 people. It's the perfect dessert to follow on from your Sunday roast. Serve warm and smother in custard or serve cold and drizzle in cream - the choice is yours!
For the pastry
- 350g/12oz plain flour
- 1/2tsp salt
- 200g/7oz unsalted butter
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 50g/2oz ground almonds
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 2 egg yolks
For the filling
- 400g/14oz ground almonds
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 6 medium eggs, beaten
- 1/2tsp (half) almond essence
- 3 heaped tbsp raspberry jam
- 50g/2oz flaked almonds
You will also need a loose-bottom tart tin at least 23-25cm and a good 4-5cm deep.
- First make the pastry. We prefer to use a food processor for this. Process the flour, salt, butter, sugar and almonds into crumbs. Then add the eggs one at a time to make a smooth dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the fridge for at least 30 min. Meanwhile prepare the filling.
- For the filling; mix the ground almonds with the caster sugar, fold in the beaten eggs and almond essence, set aside.
- Heat oven to 200C/Fan 180C/gas 6. Grease and flour your tart tin. Roll out your chilled pastry on a cold surface, this is a very short pastry and at first it will appear to be as difficult to handle as it is juggling feathers. Line the tin with the pastry (the excess, trim off, and make some biscuits). Prick with a fork then cover the pastry lightly with some baking parchment and fill with baking beads or beans and bake blind for 15 min.
- Remove from the oven take out the beads and paper and leave to cool. If the base is still a little raw in the centre pop it back in the oven for a few min to to dry out. Then leave to cool. Reduce oven to 180C/Fan 160/gas 4.
- When cool spread a generous layer of raspberry jam onto the pastry base. On top of the jam pour on the almondy, eggy filling. Top off with flaked almonds then bake for about 30 min or until the filling is baked through and the almonds are golden. Serve the Bakewell tart with clotted cream or vanilla ice cream.
Top Tip for making The Hairy Bakers' Bakewell tart
If you want a super rich pastry for your Bakewell tart, use duck eggs
Simon King and David Myers are the fantastic duo that make up the Hairy Bikers and are best known as Si and Dave. The Hairy Bikers have several cookbooks published including How to Love Food and Lose Weight and Eat for Life. Hairy Biker recipes are always triple tested and try to be as fuss-free as possible so you can trust the timings. Si and Dave have also had several hit cooking shows as they remain as one of the UK’s favourite cookery duos.
Cloud eggs recipe: How to make Instagram's latest breakfast obsession
Our cloud eggs recipe is really a pretty way to serve up your breakfast. With fluffy bottoms and dippy tops the whole family will love these...
By Rosie Conroy • Published
Hairy Bikers Shropshire fidget pie
Hairy Bikers' Shropshire fidget pie is an absolutely classic traditional meat pie made with ham and cooking apples and featured on the Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain.
By Hairy Bikers • Published
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
When is the Great British Bake Off Christmas special on?
All you need to know about Channel 4's Great Christmas Bake Off special and when it will air...
By Selina Maycock • Published
Chocolate fans 'devastated' as Cadbury removes Easter egg favourite from supermarkets
Cadbury are axing a delicious Easter treat
By Emma Dooney • Published
What to write in a Valentine's Day card - Tips and templates to copy
Scratching your head about what to write in a Valentine's Day card? Check out these helpful tips - and failing that, copy these messages and wishes for your card instead.
By Emily Stedman • Published