Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
A great alternative to Christmas turkey, the Hairy Biker's juicy citrus crust chicken breast is from their new BBC2 Christmas special, The Twelve Days of Christmas
- 6 chicken breasts
- 6tbsp olive oil
- 100g smoked fatty streaky bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 limes (juice of 1 lime, zest of 2 limes)
- 2tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 clove garlic (crushed into a paste)
- 2tsp thyme leaves
- 1tsp sea salt flakes
- In a pestle and mortar, add the lime zest, black pepper, garlic, salt and thyme leaves and crush, then add in 4tbsp of olive oil and the lime juice and pound into a paste. Set this paste aside.
- Score the chicken breast in three or four places.
- Heat the rest of the olive oil in a frying pan, sauté the lardons until crispy and the bacon fat is extracted.
- Sear the chicken breasts on both sides to seal and give a little colour.
- Place the chicken on a roasting tray skin side up and paint on the lime zesty paste. Put the chicken into a med/hot oven 180ºC for about 20 mins, basting frequently until cooked (check that the juices run clear when the thickest part of the breasts are pierced with a skewer).
- Leave to rest for 10 mins, reserve the resting juices, then slice and serve.
Top Tip for making Hairy Bikers' citrus chicken breast
Take care not to overcook the chicken, the breast needs to be juicy.