Hairy Bikers’ sausage and egg muffins take just 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook.
These toasted English muffins are topped with tender sausages patties made by using readymade sausages. Top each muffin with a perfect fried egg and enjoy. If you want to make this delicious breakfast muffin a little naughtier serve with homemade chips or potato wedges for dipping into the runny egg yolk.
- 4 high-meat content sausages (about 65g each)
- 4 slices of reduced-fat cheese (optional)
- low-cal oil spray
- 4 eggs
- 4 muffins
For chicken or turkey patties (instead of sausages)
- 250g lean turkey or chicken mince
- 1 rasher of smoked back bacon
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- flaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put a griddle pan over a high heat and leave it to get really hot – for at least 5 minutes. If using sausages, remove the skins and shape each one into a very flat, round patty.
- If you want to serve the chicken or turkey patties instead of sausages, put the mince in a bowl. Trim the bacon of fat and dice it as finely as you can, then add it to the bowl with the sage and the tomato purée. Season well with salt and lots of black pepper. Form the mixture into 4 patties.
- When the griddle is too hot to hold your hand over, add the patties. Grill for 3 minutes on each side, adding a cheese slice, if using, to each for the last minute. If the griddle pan is hot enough, the patties will not stick.
- Spray a large frying pan with a low-cal oil. Break the eggs into the pan and cook them over a medium heat until the whites are just set.
- Meanwhile, split and toast the muffins. Add a patty to 4 of the muffin halves. If you have time, trim the eggs for neatness and place an egg on top of each patty. Top with the remaining muffin halves and serve immediately. If you want to reduce the calorie count a little, leave off the top muffin.
Top tips for making sausage and egg muffins
For the freshest flavour, make and eat these muffins immediately. If you’d rather have chicken or turkey patties instead you can swap the sausage for mince and make patties from scratch.
You might also like…
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Simon King and David Myers are the fantastic duo that make up the Hairy Bikers and are best known as Si and Dave. The Hairy Bikers have several cookbooks published including How to Love Food and Lose Weight and Eat for Life. Hairy Biker recipes are always triple tested and try to be as fuss-free as possible so you can trust the timings. Si and Dave have also had several hit cooking shows as they remain as one of the UK’s favourite cookery duos.
Cloud eggs recipe: How to make Instagram's latest breakfast obsession
Our cloud eggs recipe is really a pretty way to serve up your breakfast. With fluffy bottoms and dippy tops the whole family will love these...
By Rosie Conroy Published
Hairy Bikers apple and blackberry crumble
The Hairy Bikers apple and blackberry crumble serves six and takes 40 minutes to cook
By Hairy Bikers Last updated
Hairy Bikers' vegan brownies
The Hairy Bikers' vegan brownies are perfect if you're looking for a guilt-free sweet treat to enjoy with a cuppa.
By Hairy Bikers Published