Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
From episode one of their 'Mums Know Best' series, this hearty soup won't disappoint
- About 2 litres ham stock
- 450g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 225g turnip or swede peeled and chopped
- 340g onions, finely chopped
- Any other ‘secret’ veggies, such as sprouts,
- Leeks, finely chopped cabbage, even a can of chopped tomatoes
- 225g red lentils
- Salt and pepper
- Best to make the stock the night before with a ham bone or hock so the flavour can develop.
- Cook the vegetables in the ham stock until soft, then add the lentils. Stir frequently at this stage, as lentils can burn quite easily.
- If you have made the stock with a ham hock, remove any meat, chop it and add to the soup. Season to taste.
- Maureen sometimes adds chunks of potato to cook in the soup to make it more filling, or stirs in 1–2 teaspoons of ground cumin to give it a curry flavour.