Healthy fish and chips teams lean white fish with a crispy crumb topping and oven-roasted chips.
We love eating fish and chips by the seaside, but that traditional deep battered, deep fried method can be a drain on a calorie count. In fact, a large fish and chips from a chippy average between 850 and 1000 calories per portion. Don't despair, this version is under 550 calories and it still tastes great. Adding almonds to the breadcrumbs makes for such a tasty crumb. Meanwhile mixing sweet potato in with regular homemade chips reduces the carb level and calories. Don't ditch the white potato completely though - they are a good source of nutrients.
- 200g firm white fish
- 30g whole almonds
- 30g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- ½ bunch parsley
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 15g grated Parmesan
- 1 beaten egg, seasoned
For the chips:
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 regular potato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6. To make the chips, peel the sweet and regular potatoes and cut into finger sized chips. Arrange the chips on a baking tray and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil, season well with salt and pepper, then roast for 20 mins until crispy.
- Meanwhile, blitz the almonds in a small food processor, until roughly ground, then combine with the breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, Parmesan and beaten egg.
- Spread the bread topping over the fish fillet and bake in the hot oven for 15 mins. Pop under the grill for a few mins if the topping needs to crisp up a little more.
- Serve the cooked fish with the chips and your choice of ketchup, mayo, or tartare sauce.
Top tips for making healthy fish and chips
Use any firm white fish, but check packaging for the MSC blue tick logo to make sure it has been sustainably fished.
You might also like…
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay Published
Fish chowder is a creamy and filling soup that's full of good-for-you fish and chunky veg. The perfect thing to warm you up on a winter evening.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published