This hearty lamb casserole is slow-cooked with garlic, tomatoes and fresh herbs. Delicious!
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 900g (2lb) boneless shoulder of lamb, cut into chunks
- 225g (8oz) shallots, peeled and halved
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary and oregano
- 300g (10oz) potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 courgettes, sliced
- Finely grated lemon rind
- Chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F, gas mark 3). Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry the lamb in batches over a high heat until browned all over, adding more oil as necessary. Remove with a slotted spoon to an ovenproof dish or casserole. Add shallots, celery and garlic to the pan and fry for 4-5 mins.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes. Blend the sun-dried tomato paste with 450ml (¾ pt) water. Pour into the pan and bring to the boil. Pour the tomato mixture over the lamb and mix well. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and add the sprigs of fresh herbs.
- Cover and cook in oven for 45 mins. Remove from the oven and stir in potatoes and courgettes. Return to oven and cook for a further 1hr to 1 hr 15 mins until lamb and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve garnished with lemon rind and parsley.
Top Tip for making Italian braised lamb
You can replace the shallots with chopped red onion if you prefer.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Sausage casserole recipe
This easy sausage casserole recipe combines cannellini beans, plum tomatoes, and potatoes into one hearty dinner...
By Jessica Dady Last updated
Sausage and bean stew
Our sausage and bean stew is a fail-safe family recipe. It's basically baked beans and sausages, but it's so good you'll never want to eat them out of a tin again.
By Jessica Dady Published
Beans and sausage bake
This beans and sausage bake is packed with chunky potatoes, flageolet and kidney beans in a rich, tomato sauce. A perfect sausage supper.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published