This delicious Italian ham and cheese filo tart recipe is so easy to make. Full of flavour and texture, one bite of this simple summer tart and you'll be instantly transported to a balmy Mediterranean piazza. This classic Italian tart is best eaten alfresco along with heaps of fresh crisp salad. Ideal for sharing you could have this tart for dinner and any leftovers could be kept for lunch the next day. Ham and cheese makes a delicious combo but you could also try chicken or beef instead.
- 4 filo pastry sheets
- 30g butter, melted
For the filling:
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 150g prosciutto (2 x 75g packs)
- 2 medium eggs
- 250g tub ricotta cheese
- 60g Taleggio cheese
- 1-2 courgettes
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- About 1 tbsp chopped roasted hazelnuts
- Baking tray, lined with parchment
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. To make the filling: Soften the onion and garlic in 1 tbsp of the oil for a few mins, then tear the prosciutto straight into the pan and fry for another couple of mins.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, then whisk in the ricotta until smooth. Stir in the onion mixture and some seasoning.
- Lay a sheet of filo pastry on the baking tray and brush with a little butter. Top with a second sheet, butter it, then repeat with the third and fourth sheets.
- Spread the ricotta mix in the centre, leaving a 10cm border. Draw up the pastry so just a little filling is visible. Top with slices of Taleggio. Brush the pastry edges with butter and bake for 25 mins until crisp and golden.
Top Tip for making Italian ham and cheese filo tart
You could try this recipe with chicken or beef instead
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Jam tarts are one of the simplest bakes around, perfect for making with kids, for novice bakers, or anyone who just fancies a bit of a retro treat.
By Rachael Martin • Published
Lemon tart is a classic recipe that's also a family favourite. It's so easy to make and taste delicious too. A simple dessert for sharing!
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Tomato and sweetcorn flan
By Sue McMahon • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
Why is there an egg shortage in the UK? Here’s why supermarkets are running out of eggs
Find out why is there an egg shortage, as some supermarkets see their shelves left empty as a result of the ongoing issue.
By Ellie Hutchings • Last updated