You're just three steps away from serving up these amazing Jamaican curried shrimps. With juicy prawns and crunchy peppers drenched in an easy, delicious curry marinade, this dish is perfect served on a bed of rice or with your favourite bread or veggies. The earlier you make them, the more the flavours can infuse, so try making these in the morning to enjoy at teatime for a rich, spicy dinner that cooks in just 20 minutes.
- 600g shelled medium to large raw prawns
- 2tbsp oil
- 12 Peppadew peppers
- 60g butter
- 1 spring onion, trimmed and chopped, to garnish
- Lime cheeks and basmati and wild rice, to serve
For the marinade:
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, peeled, flattened and left whole
- 1 ripe tomato, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 Scotch bonnet, or 1 small, thin red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2-3 rounded tsp medium curry powder
- Good pinch of brown sugar
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish, add the prawns and marinate for 15-30 mins.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the marinated garlic cloves and let them sizzle for 1 min. Add the rest of the marinade and the prawns to the hot oil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 3-4 mins, until all the prawns are pink.
- Take off the lid, stir in the peppers and butter and simmer for a few mins. Garnish with spring onions. Serve with lime cheeks and rice.
Top Tip for making Jamaican curried shrimps
If you don’t have Peppadew peppers, add chunks of fresh red pepper. Buy the biggest and best prawns you can find and afford.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon
Our prawn pasta with cherry tomatoes and lemon is so simple to make at home and is bursting with plenty of flavour - the perfect mid-week meal.
By Jessica Dady Published
Slimming World's king prawn and potato stew
Tasty pink prawns are the stars in this Mediterranean-style Slimming World's king prawn and potato stew flavoured with aromatic fennel seeds.
By Slimming World Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published