An alternative Christmas dessert that combines creamy Jasmine rice pudding with a sweet cranberry, apple and ginger syrup base and topped with chopped pistachio nuts – delicious!
- 600ml full cream or semi-skimmed milk
- 30g caster sugar
- 60g Thai Jasmine rice or pudding rice
- 1 lime
- 1tbsp chopped pistachio nuts
- For the fruit base:
- 100g fresh or frozen cranberries
- 100ml cranberry juice drink
- 1 ripe apple or pear
- 2 pieces of stem ginger, chopped, and 2 tbsps ginger syrup (from the jar of stem ginger)
- Knob of butter
- 4 small glasses, bowls or cups
Pour the milk into a pan, add the sugar and rice. Cook over a medium heat for about 30 mins, stirring every few minutes, until thickened and the rice is tender. Pour into a bowl, then grate in some lime zest and stir 2in the juice. Leave to cool.
To make the fruit base: Simmer the cranberries with the juice drink in a small pan for 5 mins. Peel and chop the apple or pear, add to the pan and simmer for another 5 mins, then stir in the chopped ginger, syrup and butter to make a thick sauce. Leave to cool.
Spoon the fruit into glasses, then top with the rice and sprinkle with the pistachios.
Top tip for making Jasmine rice pudding with festive fruit
For even more Thai flavour, use a 400ml can of coconut milk, topped up with milk, and ¼ tsp ground cardamom (the seeds from about 12 pods).