A simple-to-prepare alternative to a traditional rice risotto, this meat-packed risotto is a great winter warmer
- 450g (1lb) lean boneless shoulder of lamb or mutton, cut into 5cm (2inch) cubes
- Salt and pepper
- 15ml (1tbsp) ground cumin
- 10ml (2tsp) ground turmeric
- 15ml (1tbsp) sunflower oil
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 200g (7oz) pearl barley
- 200ml (7floz) reduced fat coconut milk
- 850ml good, hot vegetable stock
- 100g (4oz) green peas
- Large bunch freshly chopped mint
Place the lamb in a large bowl, season and coat in the spices.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the lamb for 4-5 minutes until brown. Transfer to a 1.7l (3pint) casserole dish.
Add the onion and garlic to the frying pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft but not brown. Transfer to the casserole dish.
Add the pearl barley, coconut milk and stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook on the hob for 55 minutes, stirring once.
Add the peas and cook for a further 5 minutes.