This lightened up version of a lamb keema curry is rich with warming spices but lower in fat than traditional lamb curries. We’ve upped the veg count in our lamb keema by using a higher ratio of peas to meat and then stirring through some fresh spinach leaves. Slowly cooking the onions is a great way to bring the most flavour out of them, and builds the most delicious base possible for lots of different sauces. Brown basmati rice has a nuttier flavour than white rice, is higher in fibre and contains more vitamins and nutrients. Curry is a classic comfort food, but isn’t always the healthiest choice. With our lamb keema curry you can enjoy all the flavours of a richly spiced curry, but with less fat and calories.
- ½tbsp vegetable oil
- 250g brown basmati rice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Thumb sized piece ginger, grated
- 1tbsp garam masala
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp turmeric
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 200g frozen peas
- 100g spinach leaves
- 400g lean lamb mince
- 50g fat free natural yoghurt
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- Put the rice in a pan and cover with twice the volume of water. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 30 mins, or until cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion over a low heat for 8-10 mins, then add the chilli, garlic and ginger and cook for another few mins until softened. Add the spices and cook for another 1-2 mins.
- Add the lamb and cook for a few mins to brown before adding the tomatoes, peas and spinach. Season and cook for 5-10 mins until the spinach has wilted and everything is cooked.
- Serve the curry with the rice, topped with the rest of the yoghurt and coriander.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe
Gordon Ramsay's easy vegetable curry recipe is perfect for vegetarians. It's packed full of delicious veggies with plenty of flavour too thanks to the chilli, cardamom and curry paste
By Gordon Ramsay Published
Hairy Bikers' Thai chicken and coconut curry
This delicious Hairy Bikers' Thai chicken and coconut curry recipe takes a classic dish and reduces the calories to turn it into a healthy family meal
By Hairy Bikers Published
Aubergine, bean and potato curry
This aubergine, bean and potato curry is a simple and satisfying vegetarian curry.
By Octavia Lillywhite Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published