Cooking this delicious lamb casserole a few days in advance isn’t just handy – it also improves the flavour and texture. Another great recipe from Woman’s Weekly
- 2 lamb shanks, about 325g (11oz) each
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 small shallots, peeled and kept whole
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 150ml (¼ pint) red wine
- 450ml (¾ pint) lamb or vegetable stock
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 410g can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 3tbsp redcurrant jelly
- To serve:
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- About 250g (8oz) swede, peeled and cut into chunks
- Milk and butter, for mashing
- Half a small, pointed spring cabbage, shredded
Set the oven to gas mark 3/160°C. Put the lamb shanks in a frying pan and brown them all over as best you can, for about 5 mins. Transfer to a casserole dish. Add the oil to the pan, along with the shallots, carrots, celery and garlic. Cover and cook for 5 mins, shaking the pan occasionally.
Add rosemary and red wine. Let it reduce for 2 mins. Pour in the stock. Season and bring to the boil. Pour into the casserole, cover and cook for 2½ hrs.
Add the butter beans and redcurrant jelly, and cook for another 30-40 mins.
Meanwhile, cook the potatoes and swede together until soft. Drain well, reserving the water for cooking the cabbage. Add some milk, butter and seasoning to the potatoes and swede, then mash well. Cook the cabbage for a few minutes.
Serve the lamb shanks with the beans and vegetables in the stock as it is, or pour the stock into a pan over a high heat and reduce it, to thicken it before serving.
Top tip for making Lamb shanks in a red wine sauce
Take the casserole out of the oven before adding the beans and jelly and leave it to cool. Transfer to a smaller container. It will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Or pack into a rigid container, seal, label and freeze. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Reheat as below.To reheatSet the oven to gas mark 6/200°C. Put in the casserole for ½ hr. Add the beans and jelly, turn the oven down to gas mark 3/160°C and cook for 30-40 mins.