Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Top these lemon and white chocolate cupcakes with a swirl of white chocolate buttercream. Simply make the white chocolate buttercream from butter, icing sugar, and melted white chocolate.
These easy, delicious lemon and white chocolate cupcakes are perfect as a food gift or bake sale treat. They are also one of our favourite afternoon tea ideas (opens in new tab). It takes just a handful of ingredients including egg, milk, and lemon zest to recreate this mouth-watering cupcake recipe (opens in new tab) at home.
For the cupcakes:
- 120g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs, room temperature (we used Ella Valentine eggs)
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 125ml milk
For the white chocolate buttercream:
- 120g butter, softened
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 50g white chocolate, melted
You'll also need:
- 12-hole muffin tin
- 12 cupcake cases
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cases.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together in a large, clean bowl and set aside.
- In a separate large, clean bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then add in the lemon zest.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add half the flour, then half the milk and fold in. Repeat with adding the remaining flour and milk, then fold in again.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases filling ¾ of the way and bake for 18 mins or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- For the white chocolate buttercream: In a large, clean bowl cream the butter, then gradually add and stir in the sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cooled, melted chocolate and continue creaming until fully combined.
- Pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes using a piping bag and then, garnish with lemon zest and grated white chocolate.
Top tips for making lemon and white chocolate cupcakes
Learn how to ice cupcakes with our handy guide. It covers all you need to know about piping buttercream including how to create the ice cream-style swirl on these cupcakes.
You might also like…
Lemon cupcakes (opens in new tab)
Lemon drizzle cake (opens in new tab)
Chocolate cupcakes recipe (opens in new tab)