Treat yourself and the family to this healthy warm new potato and flaked mackerel stir-fry with capers and fresh lemon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 mackerel fillets, thawed if frozen, and dried with kitchen paper
- 1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 250g (8oz) cooked new potatoes, sliced
- About 30g (1oz) butter
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Handful of parsley leaves
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok. Put the mackerel fillets in whole, skin-side down, and fry over a high heat for 3 mins, to crisp the skin, then turn them over and cook for a minute. Take out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and potato slices to the pan and cook for 5 mins, until browned. Meanwhile, skin and flake fish.
- Add the butter to the pan, with the capers and lemon zest and juice. Add the fish. Heat through and serve with parsley leaves sprinkled over, and with a salad on the side.
Top Tip for making Mackerel and potato stir-fry
Frozen mackerel fillets are great to have in the freezer for quick omega 3-loaded meals
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Crushed new potatoes
This simple crushed new potatoes salad makes a lovely easy lunchtime treat on warm summery days, or a great side dish with a barbecue.
By Jessica Dady • Published
Crushed potato salad
Forget shop bought potato salad or mayo-laiden calorie traps - this continental crushed potato salad recipe is quick, easy and packed with flavour.
By Sue McMahon • Published
Lemon chicken and rice stir-fry
Lemon chicken and rice stir-fry only takes 20 mins and is perfect for making with the kids if you're trying to teach them some new skills in the kitchen
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Is Gone Fishing coming back and how many episodes are there?
Fans are wondering if Gone Fishing is coming back on TV starring Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse.
By Selina Maycock • Last updated
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
This 11p lunch is perfect for saving money as living costs rise
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published