Mary Berry's Victoria sandwich has a traditionally light vanilla sponge sandwiched together with sweet strawberry jam filling.
Mary’s Berry’s Victoria sandwich is a classic. This delicious cake takes 35 mins to make and serves between six to eight people. Mary Berry has made it easy to alter the ingredient quantities in this recipe to suit three different types of cake tins, including a 7 inch round sandwich tin, all-in-one large, or a 6 inch round sandwich tin – as detailed below. This light and fluffy sponge cake will last up to three days in an airtight container or Tupperware. Mary’s Berry’s Victoria sandwich recipes is featured in Mary Berry’s Baking Bible cookbook
Watch our step-by-step video for Mary Berry’s Victoria sandwich
- 225 g (8 oz) softened butter
- 225 g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225 g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 2 level tsp baking powder
- 2 x 20cm (8in) greased and lined sandwich tins
- For the filling and topping:
- 4tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- A little caster sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease two sandwich tins then line the base of each tin with baking parchment.
Measure the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, and baking powder into a large bowl and beat until thoroughly blended. Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and level out.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger. Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes then turn out, peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
When completely cold, sandwich the cakes together with the jam. Sprinkle with caster sugar to serve.
Top tips for making Mary Berry's Victoria sandwich
Preparation is key to making the perfect sponge cake. Make sure you have all of your ingredients measured out beforehand and that the oven has been preheated to the correct temperature to ensure your Victoria sandwich cooks evenly.
Adjustments for different size tins
Mary Berry has made this recipe easy to adapt to different cake tins so if you want to opt for a 7 inch round cake instead or a 6 inch round cake tin, then simply use the ingredients and measurements below:
For an 18 cm (7 in) Victoria sandwich:
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (6oz) of softened butter
- 175g (6oz) of caster sugar
- 175g (6 oz) of self-raising flour
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder.
- 2 x 18 cm (7 in) greased and lined sandwich tins
For a 15 cm (6 in) Victoria sandwich:
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g (4 oz) of softened butter
- 100 g (4 oz) of caster sugar,
- 100 g (4 oz) of self-raising flour
- 1tsp of baking powder.
- 2 x 15cm (6 in) greased and lined sandwich