Lasagne can be just as tasty without meat. Substitute mince for a delicious combination of mushroom and mascarpone for a dinner time treat
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 250g (8oz) chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500g (1lb) frozen spinach
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g (1lb) mascarpone (2 tubs)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 200g (7oz) fresh egg lasagne sheets
- 290g jar of red peppers, drained and sliced
- 60g (2oz) pecorino cheese, grated
Set the oven to Gas Mark 6 or 200°C. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a frying pan and gently fry the mushrooms for a few minutes, to brown them. Tip them into a 2 pint ovenproof dish.
Wipe out the pan, heat the rest of the oil, add the onion and cook for a few minutes, to soften it, then add the garlic and spinach. Cook for a few minutes more until the spinach is defrosted. Season.
Mix together the mascarpone, some seasoning and the nutmeg.
Arrange a layer of lasagne over the mushrooms, then add the peppers. Spread another layer of lasagne on top. Spoon over the spinach and finish with the final layer of lasagne.
Spread the mascarpone over the top and sprinkle with the pecorino. Bake for 30 minutes.