There's nothing quite like a big plate of mashed potato for an evening when you need a bit of comfort food. This pie is made up of creamy potatoes, crispy pancetta and sweet, soft leeks making it a tasty family meal for when you're on a budget. Delicious served alone, but if you fancy some extras why not try it with cold meats or fried eggs.
- 1kg floury potatoes (eg, Maris Piper), peeled and cut into chunks
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- About 500g leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 75-80g diced pancetta
- 30g butter
- 250ml milk, single cream or crème fraiche
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Large handful of curly or flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- ½-1tsp smoked paprika
- 100g Gruyère or Cheddar cheese
- Put the potato chunks in a pan, cover with cold water and add salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, warm the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and leeks and fry, covered, over a low heat for 8 minutes until softened. Add the pancetta and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Set the oven to 190°C/374°F/Gas Mark 5. Drain the potatoes well, put back in the pan to dry off over a low heat. Add the butter and milk, cream or crème fraiche. When it starts to bubble, take off the heat and mash the potatoes roughly. Add the egg, season well and mix in.
- Stir in the onion and leek mixture, parsley, paprika and half the cheese. Spoon into the dish. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over. Bake for 35-45 minutes until well-browned.
Top Tip for making Mash, bacon, leek and cheese pie
If you don't have any pancetta, add streaky bacon or diced chorizo.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Easy cottage pie recipe
This classic cottage pie recipe is a family favourite and really easy to make...
By Jessica Dady • Last updated
Filo pastry mince pies
Filo pastry mince pies are so easy to make and ready in 30 minutes, with a crispy base, plenty of mincemeat and a sweet marzipan top
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
James Martin cottage pie
James Martin cottage pie is a twist on the classic pie, using tinned ingredients to make it even easier to cook. This pie feeds four and makes a great family dinner.
By James Martin • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published
The Queen's hilariously clever trick to get guests to dinner in a timely manner
Queen Elizabeth II's clever way she got guests to dinner promptly.
By Selina Maycock • Published
Why Prince Louis will eat Christmas dinner in a 'different room' away from Kate and William
Little Prince Louis will eat his Christmas lunch in a 'different room' to his parents
By Caitlin Elliott • Published