Half stew and half soup, this dish is a popular light meal in coastal regions of France, served simply with crusty French bread to mop up the sauce.
- 1tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Bay leaf
- Thyme, rosemary and oregano 1 sprig of each
- Fish stock 350ml (12fl oz)
- Dry white wine 150ml (1/4pt)
- Firm white fish fillets, e.g. cod, halibut or monkfish 450g (1lb)
- Fresh prepared mussels 450g (1lb)
- Chopped tomatoes 400g can
- Peeled prawns 225g (8oz), thawed if frozen
- Chopped parsley 2tbsp
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5 mins, stirring, so they soften without browning. Set the onion and garlic to one side.
- Tie together the bay leaf and herb sprigs and add to the saucepan. Pour the stock and wine into the pan.
- Wash and pat dry the fish and cut the fillets into 2.5cm (1in) thick pieces and then add to the saucepan. Bring to the boil, add the mussels, cover and simmer for 5 mins.
- Carefully stir in the chopped tomatoes and prawns and add the cooked onion and garlic. Season to taste. Bring back to the boil, cover, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for a further 3-4 mins until piping hot, the fish is just cooked through and the mussels have opened.
- To serve, discard the herbs and any mussels that haven't opened. Ladle into warmed serving bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Top Tip for making Mediterranean-style fish stew
Try toasting slices of French bread and rubbing with raw garlic. To eat, break pieces of the bread into the stew and push in gently to absorb the sauce.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This easy broccoli and Stilton soup recipe are a favourite thanks to its creamy, rich flavour. The broccoli and cheese pair perfectly together...
By Jessica Dady • Published
This creamy potato soup recipe is the perfect winter warmer. Top it with cheese and bacon for a soup version of a baked potato.
By Nichola Palmer • Published
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup with wild mushrooms
Gordon Ramsay's pumpkin soup is an autumn winner. He says: 'I adore this smooth, velvety soup. For a touch of luxury, I’m adding wild mushrooms – their warm, earthy flavour complements sweet, nutty pumpkin beautifully.'
By Gordon Ramsay • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Is Gone Fishing coming back and how many episodes are there?
Fans are wondering if Gone Fishing is coming back on TV starring Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse.
By Selina Maycock • Last updated
Pugs and French Bulldogs could be 'BANNED' in the UK as part of a new campaign
By Kudzai Chibaduki • Published
Prince Harry has ‘changed so much’ from the ‘free, easy going boy’ he once was, says Princess Diana’s former butler
“He needs to take accountability for the part he has played and the stress he has caused his family”
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse • Published