Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Mexican rice is a twist on your classic rice side dish. This Mexican rice dish will spice up any meal with delicious herbs and fragrant flavours. A great side to a delicious taco that will leave you full and satisfied, this Mexican rice recipe is also great inside home made burritos. Any Mexican themed night isn’t complete without this addictive dish. Why not serve this delicious dish with some guacamole and tortilla chips to make you feel like you’re in Mexico. This Mexican rice dish is a healthy and a family favourite in our homes, and is about to be in your house too. If you want to add more Mexican flare, why not try using queso blanco cheese which you can find in any large supermarket or online. If you’re short for time, why not buy ready cooked rice and reduce the cooking time by twenty minutes.
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 300g basmati rice
- ½ltr veg stock
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp chopped coriander, plus leaves to garnish
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a pan to medium high heat with the spices and bay leaf for a minute or until fragrant. Add the rice and fry for 5 minutes, stirring constantly or until it is golden and puffed up. Add the stock and tomatoes, and then season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat down and cook on a low heat, with a lid on, for 25 minutes.
- Take the lid off and stir in the chopped coriander and top with the crumbled feta. Lightly brown under the grill, if you like. Garnish with the coriander leaves and serve.
Top Tip for making Mexican rice
For a more substantial vegetarian dish replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock and add extra veg such as canned or frozen sweetcorn, and a chopped green pepper.