Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
This cheap and easy rice recipe has onions and fresh parsley to add flavour - while the lentils and poached egg on top make it hearty and filling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 100g (3½oz) split red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 250g pack steamed brown basmati rice or frozen cooked brown rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a low heat for 12-15 mins, stirring, until browned.
- Put the lentils in a pan with 300ml (½ pint) cold water, bring to the boil and cook, half-covered, for 10-15 mins until the water is absorbed.
- Add the sugar and vinegar to the onion, then turn up the heat and stir in the cooked lentils and rice. Season and heat through while poaching the eggs.
- Serve the rice mixture in bowls and put the egg on top. Sprinkle with parsley.
Top Tip for making Middle-eastern rice
If you don't have ready cooked brown rice, put 150g (5oz) rinsed brown rice in a pan with 300ml (½ pint) water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 20-25 mins until rice is tender.