Mackerel is rich in omega-3, which improves brain power - that's why this dish makes such a great lunch for growing kids.
- 4mackerel, gutted, heads removed, slashed a few timesOlive oil
- 1 large lemon, cut into wedges
For the dressing:
- 1tsp sea salt
- 2tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 5tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 4tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Couscous and salad, to serve
- 6tbsp lemon-infused oil (see Sue's tip)
- For the dressing: Dissolve salt in 3tbsp boiling water. Cool. Put the pine nuts in a bowl with the shallot, garlic and herbs. Season with pepper, then stir in lemon oil and salty water.
- For the mackerel: Rub each mackerel with a little olive oil and season.
- Griddle for 3-4 mins each side. Cook one or two at a time and keep them warm on a tray in oven.
- Spoon dressing over the fish. Serve with couscous flavoured with lemon and parsley, the lemon wedges, and salad. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top Tip for making Moroccan mackerel
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says: No lemon-infused oil? Use olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice instead.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Warm potato salad with smoked mackerel
This warm potato salad with smoked mackerel recipe is so easy to make. This 487 calorie fish salad recipe is delicious, easy and on the table in only 15 minutes!
By Jessica Dady • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Is Gone Fishing coming back and how many episodes are there?
Fans are wondering if Gone Fishing is coming back on TV starring Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse.
By Selina Maycock • Last updated
Is the Wim Hof Method healthy? Wim Hof's new TV show Freeze the Fear explained
By Selina Maycock • Published
Is granola healthy? How it affects weight loss and healthiest granola brands
By Emily Stedman • Published