Moroccan red lentil and lamb stew is a family friendly dish that works perfectly for a weekend meal. We love the exotic mix of spices that give this stew it's authentic Moroccan flavour. Red lentils are a healthy pulse that fill you up without adding lots of calories! The combination of the tender lamb and the lentils is a warming dinner that can be enjoyed served with couscous or on it's own for a lunchtime soup. The lentils are delicious and nutritious too!
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 275g (9oz) lamb neck fillet, cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1tsp each paprika, turmeric and cumin
- ¼tsp each cinnamon and ground ginger
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
- 125g (4oz) red lentils
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 450ml (¾ pint) hot vegetable stock
- 1tsp runny honey
- 1tsp salt
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole, add the lamb and cook for a few mins until browned all over.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 mins until softened. Stir in the spices and tomato purée, and cook for 1 min.
- Add the potatoes, lentils, tomatoes, hot stock and honey. Season with salt and bring to the boil.
- Set the oven to 160°C/Gas Mark 3.
- Cover the casserole with a lid and cook the lamb for 45 mins-1 hour, until the lamb is very tender. Serve, sprinkled with coriander leaves.
Top Tip for making Moroccan red lentil and lamb stew
To save time, you can cook this stew in a pressure cooker for 20 mins.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Baked lamb steaks
These baked lamb steaks are easy to cook in the pan with potatoes and cherry tomatoes, and each portion comes in under 400 calories. A great weekend supper idea.
By Jessica Dady Published
A vegetable stew recipe that is quick, cheap and easy to make and is an absolute family favourite. Speeded up by swapping haricot beans for canned butter beans, this meal is a winner
By Jessica Dady Last updated
Greek lamb with warm beans
By Sue McMahon Published
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published