Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Nut roast is a classic vegetarian Christmas recipe that's become a tradition in itself. This easy recipe is full of flavour and texture, and it works really well with the rest of the traditional Christmas trimmings so it's part of the full-on Christmas dinner that everyone will be looking forward to. It's delicious cold the next day, so make sure there's enough for nut roast sandwiches!
- 1 medium onion
- 1oz butter
- 8oz mixed nuts, such as peanuts, cashews, walnuts, etc
- 4oz wholemeal bread
- pint vegetable stock
- 2tsp yeast extract
- 1tsp mixed herbs
- Chop the onions finely and cook them in the butter until transparent.
- Blend the nuts and bread together in a liquidiser until you get them to a fine consistency. Pulse the liquidiser if the mixture looks like it is forming clumps.
- Heat the stock and yeast extract to boiling point, then combine all the ingredients together and mix well. The mixture should be fairly loose.
- Turn into a greased shallow baking dish and make the surface as level as possible. Then sprinkle with a few breadcrumbs.
- Bake in the oven at 180C, gas 5 for 30 minutes until golden brown.