This quick and delicious dinner recipe is so simple - just coat with mustard and oats, then fry and serve with a healthy salad on the side
- 4 mackerel fillets, checked for bones
- 2 level tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 level tsp hot horseradish or horseradish sauce
- 4 tbsp rolled oats
- About 30g (1oz) butter
- Lemon halves
- Salad leaves, watercress or green beans
- Put the mackerel fillets, skin-side down, on a plate. Mix the mustard and horseradish and spread over the fish, and then press oats on top.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and, when foaming, add the fish, oat-side down, and cook for a couple of mins. Turn them over and cook for another min. Serve with lemon, and leaves or beans.
Top Tip for making Oat-coated mackerel
If you sprinkle a tiny amount of curry powder into the bottom of the frying pan when frying fish, it will help keep your kitchen smelling fresh and give the fish a lovely colour and flavour
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.