Kickstart your morning with this fruity, oaty smoothie, flavoured with cinnamon, ginger and vanilla.
- 1 large orange
- 2.5cm root ginger, grated and juiced to give 1tbsp juice
- 100g yogurt (or soya yogurt for vegan option)
- 150g drained, tinned mango (reserve the juice or syrup)
- 2tsp wheatgerm (optional)
- 1tbsp porridge oats
- 1tbsp cinnamon (optional)
- 2-3 drops vanilla extract (optional)
- Use a zester to make a few shreds of zest for garnish. Grate more zest to give ¼ tsp grated orange zest. Squeeze juice from the orange. There should be about 4tbsps (60ml).
- Wrap the grated ginger in a small square of muslin and twist hard to extract the juice (or use a juicer).
- Put grated orange zest, orange juice and all other ingredients into a liquidizer and blend until smooth. taste. Sweeten with a little of the reserved juice from the tinned mango if needed and blend again.
- Serve in glasses and garnish with the shreds of zest.
Top Tip for making Orange, ginger and mango breakfast
Tinned apricots also work well as an alternative to mango