Taken from a 1973 issue of Woman's Weekly, this traditional British fish and chips are cooked in the oven, rather than in the deep-fat fryer.
This recipe takes just 55 minutes to prepare and bake and takes just two steps to make these delicious fish nuggets and homemade chips. You can use cod or haddock in this recipe.
- 2 med-sized potatoes, peeled and cut into chips
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 pieces cod or haddock fillet, about 150g (5oz) each
- 1 tsp plain flour, seasoned
- 1 med egg, beaten
- 5 tbs dried breadcrumbs
- Lemon wedges
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 7 or 220°C. Put a baking tray into heat up for 20 mins. Dry the raw potato chips with a clean tea towel, then toss them in 1 tbs of the oil. Put them on the baking sheet and cook for about 30 mins, turning them once.
- Meanwhile, dust the fish with the flour, dip it in the egg and then coat in the breadcrumbs. Put on the baking tray with the chips, drizzle with the rest of the oil and bake for 15 mins. Serve with lemon wedges, salt, pepper and vinegar.
Top tips for making oven baked fish and chips
Oven-bake your fish and chips for a healthier meal.
You might also like...
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough
Tom Kerridge's crab mayo on griddled sourdough is the perfect healthy recipe you can enjoy making and eating at home. It's so easy to make and looks impressive too.
By Tom Kerridge • Published
Healthy fish and chips
Healthy fish and chips is a lightened up version of a Friday night fish supper. The flavour packed crumb coating is a great alternative to batter.
By Jess Findlay • Published
Fish chowder is a creamy and filling soup that's full of good-for-you fish and chunky veg. The perfect thing to warm you up on a winter evening.
By Octavia Lillywhite • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
When does Great British Menu 2023 start?
All you need to know ahead of series 18 of the culinary BBC Two show
By Selina Maycock • Published
Royal Family's Christmas dinner menu at Windsor Castle confuses fans
Royal fans have been left baffled by the Christmas dinner menu's unfamiliar language
By Emma Dooney • Published