Pumpkins aren’t just for carving. A well flavoured garlic tomato sauce makes a great base to cook up chunks of pumpkin in this delicious dish. Serve this as an accompaniment to sausages or grilled meats as a warming change from mash potato, or try sprinkling with cheese and spooning over pasta for a super filling dish. Quick, cheap, easy and a definite winter warmer.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 600ml passata or sieved tomatoes
- 2tbsp sundried tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g butter or margarine
- 450g prepared pumpkin (or squash), cut into 2cm thick pieces
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a saucepan and gently fry the garlic and onion for 5 mins until softened but not brown. Pour over the tomatoes and add the paste and plenty of seasoning. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter with the remaining oil in a frying pan and gently fry the pumpkin with some seasoning for 6-7 mins, stirring, until beginning to soften. Set aside.
- Once the sauce is cooked through, pour it over the pumpkin and then heat through, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins, until the pumpkin is tender and the sauce thick. Serve immediately, straight from the pan.
Top Tip for making Pan-cooked pumpkin in rich tomato sauce
Using passata as a sauce base gives a smooth texture, but you can use chopped canned tomatoes or fresh ones for a more chunky sauce.
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published
When does winter start? The first day of winter 2023
When does winter start? We reveal when the first day of winter will be in 2023, and answer your questions about the coldest season.
By Lucy Wigley Published
Prince William and Prince Harry’s ‘favourite’ childhood meals are surprisingly ‘normal’ and easy to recreate for family dinners
The brother's enjoyed "traditional, English food"
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse Published
These pumpkin-shaped cinnamon rolls are the perfect autumnal treat - and they cost less than £3 to make
By Ellie Hutchings Published