Chicken goes really well with lemon – the lemon pasta gives the chicken breasts a really zingy lift and this dish is lovely and light. The garlic here is thickly sliced, rather than crushed, as it flavours the buttery cooking juices without burning. If the garlic was crushed it would cook too fast and become bitter. It only takes 20 mins to cook and is the perfect mid-week meal for the whole family.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, thickly sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 150g dried tagliatelle
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1tbsp chives, snipped
- 1tbsp fresh tarragon, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 1tbsp of oil and the butter in a non stick frying pan and cook the garlic for 1 minute. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste, and add to the pan to cook gently for about 20 minutes, turning frequently and basting often in the butter juices in the pan. Check the chicken is cooked before removing from the pan.
- While the chicken is cooking, cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and tossing in the lemon juice, chives, tarragon and remaining tablespoon of the olive oil. Slice the chicken on the diagonal into 1cm thick slices.
- Arrange the pasta on each plate with the slices of chicken. Season with salt and pepper, then serve scatter with extra herbs if wished.
Top Tip for making Pan-fried chicken with lemon pasta
If you want to speed up the cooking time just flatten the chicken breasts between two sheets of cling film as the thinner the chicken breast the faster it will cook!