This panettone bombe has melt in the mouth chocolate buried inside - a luxurious treat this Christmas time and winner with the whole family. Most of us will have panettone at Christmas - either homemade or shop bought, it always seems to be around, so if you want to take it to another level, why not try this recipe and surprise guests with your favourite chocolate ice cream in the middle of it! A chocolate bombe is a must at Christmas, just like panettone, so why not combine the who and make this fab dessert! If you've never made your own ice cream you'll be surprised just how easy it is. Just be patient and make sure you give it enough time in the freezer to set properly - best leave it overnight!
- 900g panettone
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 300g raspberries, to serve
For the dark chocolate ice cream
- 300ml thick cream
- 200g caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 150g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa solids), melted
- 550ml milk
- To make the dark chocolate ice cream, place the cream and half the caster sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat, bring almost to boiling point and remove from the heat. Beat the egg yolks and the remaining caster sugar in a large bowl using electric beaters until pale and creamy. Whisk in the warm cream mixture, then return to the cleaned saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat, whisk in the chocolate, then whisk in the milk. Pour into a jug or bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled. Churn in an ice-cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, invert the panettone onto a clean work surface and cut a circle in the base, leaving a 2cm (3/4 inch) border around the edge. Remove the disc of panettone and set aside. Hollow out the centre, leaving a 3–4 cm (11/4–11/2 inch) wide shell of panettone. Place the panettone shell and disc in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill.
- Spoon the ice cream into the panettone cavity using a spatula. Replace the base disc and invert the panettone onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover the bombe with plastic wrap and freeze overnight, or until the ice cream is firm.
- Transfer the panettone to a serving plate, pile the raspberries on top and dust with the icing sugar to serve.
Top Tip for making Panettone and dark chocolate bombe
If you don't have an ice cream machine you can just use shop-bought ice cream
Parenting advice, hot topics, best buys and family finance tips delivered straight to your inbox.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
Candice Brown's rainbow cake
Want to make your very own rainbow cake? This rainbow cake recipe is easy to follow and is great for those special occasions...
By Nichola Palmer Published
Mini Christmas cakes
These impressive, muffin-sized, brandy infused mini Christmas cakes are perfect for sharing with family and friends this Christmas – sweet and delicious
By Jessica Dady Published
Mary Berry’s chocolate cake
Mary Berry's chocolate cake recipe uses the all-in-one method so it's quick and easy to make.
By Mary Berry Last updated
Gingerbread cuckoo clock
A festive project that doubles as a decoration with the ultimate wow factor!
By Rose Fooks Published
Air fryer French toast bites
If you like French toast, you're going to love these air fryer French toast bites - the perfect weekend treat...
By Nathan Anthony Published
Air fryer fish tacos
Say hello to these mouthwatering air fryer fish tacos ready and on the table in just 20 minutes...
By Nathan Anthony Published