This panettone bombe has melt in the mouth chocolate buried inside - a luxurious treat this Christmas time and winner with the whole family. Most of us will have panettone at Christmas - either homemade or shop bought, it always seems to be around, so if you want to take it to another level, why not try this recipe and surprise guests with your favourite chocolate ice cream in the middle of it! A chocolate bombe is a must at Christmas, just like panettone, so why not combine the who and make this fab dessert! If you've never made your own ice cream you'll be surprised just how easy it is. Just be patient and make sure you give it enough time in the freezer to set properly - best leave it overnight!
- 900g panettone
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- 300g raspberries, to serve
For the dark chocolate ice cream
- 300ml thick cream
- 200g caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 150g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa solids), melted
- 550ml milk
- To make the dark chocolate ice cream, place the cream and half the caster sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat, bring almost to boiling point and remove from the heat. Beat the egg yolks and the remaining caster sugar in a large bowl using electric beaters until pale and creamy. Whisk in the warm cream mixture, then return to the cleaned saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from the heat, whisk in the chocolate, then whisk in the milk. Pour into a jug or bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled. Churn in an ice-cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Meanwhile, invert the panettone onto a clean work surface and cut a circle in the base, leaving a 2cm (3/4 inch) border around the edge. Remove the disc of panettone and set aside. Hollow out the centre, leaving a 3–4 cm (11/4–11/2 inch) wide shell of panettone. Place the panettone shell and disc in the freezer for 30 minutes to chill.
- Spoon the ice cream into the panettone cavity using a spatula. Replace the base disc and invert the panettone onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover the bombe with plastic wrap and freeze overnight, or until the ice cream is firm.
- Transfer the panettone to a serving plate, pile the raspberries on top and dust with the icing sugar to serve.
Top Tip for making Panettone and dark chocolate bombe
If you don't have an ice cream machine you can just use shop-bought ice cream