Pesto, asparagus and potato salad is our favourite way to make potato salad, especially if you have some guests who don't love potato salad. With a delicious homemade pesto, this pesto, asparagus and potato salad is a crowd-pleaser and easy to make. Bags of flavour with roasted tomatoes, garlic and a splash of balsamic vinegar are all you need to complete this summery pesto, asparagus potato salad. This recipe serves about four people and takes approx 1hr 25 minutes to make from start to finish. But we promise it's worth the wait! We like serving our pesto potato salad for a weekend lunch when the sun is shining (although we can't promise that..) for a picnic or BBQ.
- 250g cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 bundles asparagus
- 500g new potatoes
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
For the pesto:
- Small handful fresh mint leaves
- 1 handful rocket leaves
- 30g walnuts
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 50ml olive oil, or enough to loosen the pesto
- 30g Parmesan grated
- Lemon juice to taste
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and place on a baking tray. Add garlic, sugar and balsamic vinegar and cook at 160°C/310°F/Gas Mark 3 for 1 hour. Remove from oven.
- Turn oven up to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Trim the ends of the asparagus and place on a roasting tray, drizzle with some oil, season and roast in oven for 6-8 minutes. Meanwhile boil the halved new potatoes until cooked through, drain and set aside.
- Add the mint to a blender along with the rocket, walnuts and garlic, drizzle in the oil whilst blending until you have a loose consistency. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper and lemon juice to taste.
- Dress the asparagus spears and potatoes with the pesto and scatter over some of the roasted cherry tomatoes.
Top Tip for making Pesto, asparagus and potato salad
Serve alongside some BBQ lamb steaks and salad for a delicious summer dinner