Use up leftover cucumbers and make them into pickles to enjoy on their own or to add to your burgers, sandwiches and salads.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 1 green pepper, deseeded
- 3 level tbsp salt
- 500ml (16fl oz) white wine vinegar
- 100g (3½oz) caster sugar
- Slice the cucumbers, onion and green pepper very thinly, preferably using a mandolin, and cutting the cucumber at a slight angle to give longer slices.
- Put vegetable slices in a bowl and spoon salt over. Stir, then leave for 1-2 hrs, stirring occasionally, but not breaking up the cucumber. The salt should draw the liquid from cucumber.
- Tip the vegetables into a colander and rinse them well, then pat dry on absorbent kitchen paper. Pack vegetables well into the sterilised jars.
- Pour the vinegar into a pan and add the sugar. Warm until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove pan from the heat and pour the vinegar into the jars to completely cover the vegetables.
- Leave mixture in the jars to go completely cold, then cover and seal jars with vinegar-proof lids. This pickle is best left for 1 week before eating. It will keep
- refrigerated for up to 1 month. (Not suitable for freezing).
Top Tip for making Pickled cucumber
Woman's Weekly cookery editor Sue McMahon says: Heat the vinegar in a stainless steel pan rather than an aluminium one; the vinegar’s acidity will react with the aluminium.
Low-fat carrot soup
This low-fat carrot soup is so easy to make. Serve it with crusty wholemeal bread for a healthy lunch or starter.
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Spicy sausage rice
Never know what to do with leftover sausages or salsa dip? Turn them into a new and delicious family meal of spicy sausage rice
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Weight Watchers Egg Drop Soup with Chicken and Shiitake
This egg drop soup is the perfect low-fat recipe if you're counting calories and trying to shed some pounds.
By WW (Weight Watchers) • Published
Tiramisu crepe stack
Give a humble pancake the ultimate transformation with this easy but showstopping tower of coffee pancakes...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Creamy mushroom and blue cheese buckwheat galettes
Buckwheat will give these pancakes a pleasant savoury flavour, as well as making them gluten-free...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Surprisingly cheap Mother's Day gift mums ACTUALLY want as chocolate and jewellery drop in popularity
New research has found that many mums in the UK have a very simple wish list this Mother's Day
By Emma Dooney • Published
Prince Harry has ‘changed so much’ from the ‘free, easy going boy’ he once was, says Princess Diana’s former butler
“He needs to take accountability for the part he has played and the stress he has caused his family”
By Charlie Elizabeth Culverhouse • Published
Mum shares insanely easy and cheap hack to clean the pesky dust behind your radiators
By Selina Maycock • Published