Get creative with fruits and make your own cordial. This recipe combines a mixture of pineapples, passion fruit and lime juices for a sweet, refreshing taste. Sparkling water is added for that bubbly spritz
- 2 pineapples (about 1kg each)
- 4 passion fruit
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- About 200g caster sugar
- Sparkling water or lemonade, to serve
- Jelly bag or muslin-lined sieve
- Peel the pineapple and roughchop its flesh, including the core. Put it in a pan with 150ml (¼ pint) water. Scoop out the passion fruit flesh and add to the pan, with the lime zest and juice.
- Put the pan on the hob and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for about 10 mins. Remove from the heat and strain the mixture through a jelly bag or a muslin-lined sieve, until it’s stopped dripping, about an hour. (Pour boiling water through the bag or muslin first, so the fabric doesn’t just soak up the juice.)
- Measure the strained juice and use 30g sugar for each 100ml juice (eg, for 600ml juice, use 180g sugar).
- Put the juice and sugar in a clean pan and place the pan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat, bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 2-3 mins. Remove from the heat, leave to cool slightly and then pour into a sterilised bottle. Store in the fridge for up to a week.
- To drink, dilute to taste with sparkling water or, for a sweeter drink, with lemonade.
Top Tip for making Pineapple, passion fruit and lime cordial
For a clear cordial, don’t squeeze the mixture while it’s straining.
Trusted, informative, and empathetic – GoodTo is the ultimate online destination for mums. Established in 2007, our 15-year-strong archive of content includes more than 18,000 articles, 1,500 how-to videos, and 7,000 recipes.
This recipe will teach you how to make a frappuccino at home with just a kitchen blender and some basic ingredients.
By Grace Walsh • Published
The new beaten coffee craze, try our recipe for dalgona coffee.
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Rice pudding with boozy compote
This delicious rce pudding with boozy compote is so easy to make - the perfect dessert recipe for a dinner party
By GoodtoKnow • Published
Munchies skillet cookie
A gooey, delicious cookie baked in a skillet. A great dessert for sharing with loved ones...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Mozzarella and tomato ‘bruschetta’ salad
A filling salad that doesn't shy away from flavour. Perfect as a hearty lunch or light dinner...
By Jess Meyer • Published
Coq au vin pie
A warming pie packed with tender chunks of chicken, succulent bacon and a rich red wine gravy...
By Rose Fooks • Published
Is there a Doctor Who Christmas special in 2022?
Viewers of the beloved BBC show want to know is there a Doctor Who Christmas special in 2022 and whether there's more episodes to enjoy this year.
By Emily Stedman • Published
The Queen’s dinner table rule means this everyday essential isn’t ‘allowed’ for her royal relatives
The Queen reportedly prefers a more 'formal' approach to mealtimes and prioritises traditional etiquette with her nearest and nearest...
By Emma Shacklock • Published
The sad Christmas change that will highlight the Queen's absence
King Charles is set to do things differently this year for Christmas at Sandringham and there is one sad difference.
By Selina Maycock • Published